Elim Church recently began its 130th season of ministry. Founded in 1888, Elim Church has a long history of being ‘an oasis in the city’ for all people young and old.
On May 2, 1884, six women1 gathered at 1504 Jefferson Street2 in Northeast Minneapolis. They formed a sewing society that would become the praying, planning and fundraising foundation of Elim Church. Nine years later, the congregation purchased the building at the corner of Thirteenth Avenue and Madison Street. In 1904 they raised funds for a new building, including a beautiful sanctuary. We worship in this sanctuary every Sunday morning and you are welcome to join us.
For more information about the history of Elim Church, please enjoy our 125th Anniversary slideshow below.
1 The meeting took place at the home of Mrs. John Halverson; Mrs. Peter Monson, Mrs. Andrew Nelson, Mrs. August Olson, Mrs. Charles Olson, and Mrs. Olaf Olson were also present.
2 The house at 1504 Jefferson Street NE is still standing, and is now a duplex.