At Elim we are committed to growing in faith, connecting in community and serving our neighbors.
- The Misfits – This class, which meets in the Lounge, is open to all adults with a wide range of ages, including college students. We use feature-length films as a springboard to discussions of spiritual issues. Each week we spend time in Bible study and then watch another segment of our current film. The class is led by Kyle Marsh and Brian Turnquist.
- The MerryMakers/Mariners/Seniors – This combined class is taught by Pastor Chuck Fleming, and is open to all adults. The class is currently in a study of Nehemiah. Once this segment concludes, the class will begin a study of Christ in The Old Testament.
- Elim Book Club – The Elim Book Club meets every other month (September, November, January, March, May and July) on the third Monday in the Lounge, at 7:00 pm. Some books being read this year are Take Me With You, by Kathryn Ryan Hyde (November), When Breath Becomes Air, by Paul Kalanithi (January), and Emma, by Jane Austen (January). Please note that July’s meeting will be hosted by Mary and Shirley Barnes.
- Women’s Bible Study – This study, taught by Pastor Becky, uses the book Nehemiah: Rebuilt and Rebuilding, by Dr. Kathleen Buswell Nielson. Nehemiah is not only an example of great leadership; his story shows us in living color God’s sovereign plan to work through his people for his redemptive purposes in Jesus Christ. Dr. Nielson leads us to immerse ourselves in a dramatic story of God’s people led by a godly leader at a crucial point in salvation history. As we follow the rebuilding of the wall, we witness God’s faithfulness in preserving a chosen people according to his promises, and we realize our need for a savior. The class meets from 6:45-8:15 on Tuesday nights, in the Lounge.
- Wednesday Night Bible Study – Sue Watlov Phillips leads this Wednesday night Bible study, by discussing two books. The first book, Re-Covering In God: 40 Days Wrestling With God, is a devotional designed as a guide to knowing how to be in God’s will instead of our self-will. It helps to turn our focus from past failures to recovery in God for any ‘isms’ in our lives: materialism, cynicism, workaholism, perfectionism, alcoholism, etc. The second book, Jesus Calling, is a devotional filled with uniquely inspired treasures from heaven for every day of the year. After years of writing in her prayer journal, missionary Sarah Young decided to listen to God with pen in hand, writing whatever she believed He was saying to her. She knew her writings were not inspired as Scripture is, but her journal entries—written from Jesus’ point of view, thus the title Jesus Calling—helped her grow closer to God. The class is scheduled from 6:30-8:00 pm in the Prayer Room, but also regularly meets in the main entry or, if the weather is nice, outside.
- GriefShare – GriefShare is a thirteen session, Christ-centered, support group for those journeying through one of life’s most difficult experiences—grieving the loss of a loved one. GriefShare meets weekly on Wednesdays during the Fall, and will be led by Dennis and Jill Jezierski. Group members will gain access to valuable GriefShare resources to help them deal with loss and look forward to rebuilding life. GriefShare uses video seminars, group discussion and personal study and reflection to help those who are suffering and in pain.
- Friday Morning Men’s Group – The routine for the Friday Morning Men’s Group (which meets at 6:30 am on Fridays, in the Dining Room or Library, is to hear from one another and then move to prayer, using the Fellowship & Care prayer list to guide our prayer. We then move into a conversation about the book we are currently reading. It is a “come as you can” group, as many members of the group travel some. We would still love to have you, even if you can’t make it every week. If interested, talk to Don Heide (or email him) to get a current schedule.
- These groups vary in purpose, size and location. There is a small group for you to join at Elim!
For more information about our small groups, please contact small groups coordinator Heather Carlson.